Kindred Role Playing
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How to RolePlay

Go down

How to RolePlay Empty How to RolePlay

Post  NinjaLadiesMan Mon Jun 29, 2009 9:36 am

[Thanks goes to Ray0Haruko for making this.] (I copied and pasted from the IMVU Group Mystic Fantasy Roleplaying!! ^_^. (This time at least last time I was stupid enough to forget about the copy and paste function and ended up retyping this entire thing.))

This is for those who wish to learn to RP or find a few things out about RPing. This isn't a must or anything just I've notice some people don't know a few things about RPing and here's a great topic to help show you how to RP. It has everything you need that should answer any of your questions about Role Playing. If not, feel free to ask anything you are lost or confuse on.
Also, this is a new post of my earlier topic, this one just a sticky so it stays on the front page to help others.

1. Getting started
Remember, RP stands for Role Playing. This means you simply Play a Role of a character, you pretend and act as if you are that character as you type what they do or say. When RPing, you are simply creating a story with others. There are also different types of RP:

a. One Lining.
This is when you type a sentance or two in a single post. This is usually only used in IM chat but can be used in other places when RPing.

b. Para RPing.
This is when you make one single paragraph in a single post about your character or what he or she is doing. Detail is important in this step.

c. Multi Para RP.
This is when you create multiple paragraphs about what is happening, or what your character is doing and such. This takes some skills on RPing and takes time to do perfectly. Don't rush yourself, you can't become an expert that quickly.

d. T1.
This is when you create at least 4 or more paragraphs about a scene and everything that is happening around your character. This is for very experience RPers and is very diffucult to do. In order to do this, you must add detail about everything that is going on around you. How is your character moving and your character's reaction to who your RPing with? But remember, just because you can do T1 RPing, doesn't make you a professional RPer.

2. Seperating your characters action and discription from your character's speaking.
Always use something to help seperate your character from talking, to acting, or discribing. Most starters use * at each end of their action. Some put nothing around their action and have quotes around their words to show that is what they are saying. Either way, as long as something shows what is what.

3. Out of Character and In Character
Just like seperating words from action, there are times when you must show that your are Out Of Character (OOC for short) or when your In Character (IC for short) so you can ask questions about the RP when OOC. Some use ( ) for OOCing or some just put 'OOC:' before their OOC to help clear what they are saying OOC. Then when back to IC they put 'IC:' to help show that they are back IC. This is important cause you are not allowed to talk about RP while IC. It can make things confusing and just doesn't fit right in story, not to mention you can create an arguement with other RPers and upset them.

4. The Rules of RP fighting
There are rules to know about fighting while RPing. This helps make things fair for both sides so no one argues or gets upset.

a. The first simple Rule is no god moding, this means you are not allowed to act as a god and never die, you must get hit at least once or have at least a way of dieing.

b. Never create one hit kills, always give the other person a chance. This also counts for god moding.

c. No auto dodging, this means you should always explain how you dodge an attack. It not quite fair to be able to dodge every move with out getting hit. Make it fair.

d. No Auto hitting, this means you can not create one attack after another in one post. Make one single attack and let the other make a reply to help give them a chance to avoid or counter attack. There are ways around it but this can create major arguements. Best to not do this.

f. No controlling the other character/s
You may never control somebody else's character, this counts for both in fighting and in regular RP. It is unfair for others and can create many arguements.

5. Regular RP rules.
Even when doing regular RPing, there are rules to follow.

a. No controlling other's actions.
Just like in the fighting RP, don't control someone else's character.

b. Try to do the best spelling as possible.
This isn't a must, but it helps prevent others from being jerks.
c. Make sure your post makes sense.

Remember, you can't be in two places at once. So if somebody is miles away from you while your with somebody, don't randomly start talking to that person like they're right next to you when they arn't.

d. Is being a god ok with others?
Its always fine to RP a god, just always make sure if its ok with others and if they want to follow any serten rules like in fighting.

e. Make sure your character makes sense to others.
Sometimes its best to let others know what you are and make sure you arn't something increadibly crazy like a vampire/demon/god/devil/moose. Lets try to have things make sense now.

f. No faces while IC.
Remember, no making '' or '^.^' faces while IC. Leave those things OOC.

g. Taking turns when RPing with more than one person?
Thats right, sometimes when you RP with more than one, you have to take turns so neither of the RPers get confuse. When just making a post after seeing someone else's, this can create a confusion when both you and the other RPer make a post at once right after. Its best to go in an RP order to help keep the RP to making sense. Sometimes it can take a while to keep the RP goin, but these kind of RPs are usually in Group Forums, or in Chatrooms.

6. How to describe your character.
Remember, no one can read your mind and picture how you picture your character. Always explain small details about your character till you get better on explaining more defficult things. There are only a few things you should remember to help describe your character.
a. What does your character look like?
What color eyes, skin, or hair and how is it shaped?
b. What is your character wearing?
What kind of pants is your character wearing, what color and is it, and what is it made of? Leather or something else?
c. Where is your character?
Where is he at? He can't be in more than one place at once.
d. What is your character doing?
Are your character hand's in his or her pocket? Is he or her sitting down?
e. What is your character thinking?
f. How does your character feel at the moment?
Is your character sad that he or she has a sad look on his or her face? Confuse enough to make him or her look confuse?
g. What is your character holding?
Is your character holding a weapon? Maybe some kind of cup with a drink in it? And whats in the drink?

These help you think of what you should do to help explain your character in RP. It also helps make things interresting in the RP and for others. With these details, you can explain how your character fell from the sky or how he creates a scene when entering a bar and such. These all come from your imagenation to help create a better and more fun RP.

Doing these things in RP can also help you with things in real life, like help you do better with your english homework. For example, my friend had to make two paragraphs about a small story that she read. From RPing so much and knowing how to be detail in her RPs, she was able to create a five or more paragraph about the story with out even thinking so much.

A great way to know how to get better is to read other's RP and see what they put in it, how are they explaining their character? How are they explaining a serten action? How are they explaining their looks and such.

Another great way to look more experience is to explain the area around them and the weather. Like how the wind is blowing against your character's hair or how soaked your character's clothes are from how hard the rain is and such. You can also explain the people around you and how they are acting. Remember, you don't have to explain your character alone. You can describe the town folks in the town you are in to help picture what is going on and what everything looks like along with the buildings and such.

There is no limit when RPing and remember to always take your time, no one is rushing you and there is no need to be rushed. When following each and everyone of these steps, it helps you look more experience and help you become more experience.

Want to test yourself?
Just so those who wish to test themselfs on seeing if they understand correctly or to preactice. I'm gonna put up a few tests for everyone can take and use to use to test themselfs, and I will help grade you by telling you what you are doing wrong or how well you are doing by improving and so on. Make sure to put what Test Number you are doing above your post so I am aware of what you are doing.

Test Numbers:

1. Explain to me a fish jumping out of the water and how it accidently jumped out as it landed on a dry surface.

2. Explain your character sitting in a bar and what is happening along with what is your character doing in the bar.

3. Explain how your character is entering a battle and how she or he is getting ready and whats going to happen.

4. Your character is waking up early in the morning, explain how he or she gets out of bed and what he or she is getting ready for.

5. Your character is at a park with someone, explain what he or she does at the park and who he or she is with.

6. Your character is walking in an area and bumps into someone, explain the situation.

If you want any tips just ask, its not like its the test of the world so simply do your best. I'm only doing this to help others become better on their own free will. I will add more test and you can post the test on here, if you want to try and prevent yourself from being embarress, feel free on messaging me the test.

Remember, if any questions, feel free to ask.
And I hope I got everything, I'll make sure to edit incase I forgot anything too.

Alright I was wondering if an indicator system could be set up. So that people can have an idea what the role-play is about before they go into it. Such as:
F - Fantasy
MD - Medieval
M - Modern
R - Romance
H - Humor
Sci - Futuristic
S - School related
B - Based off an anime/game/show/book/movie etc.
Ho - Horror
Mys - Mystery
C - Occult
PA - Post-apocalyptic
U -Urban/City
SP - Spiritual/Faith/Religious
A - Action/Fighting/Battles/War
HF - historical fiction

Example: [M,F] Flowers in the Attic
This thread title indicates that 'Flowers in the Attic' is a modern fantasy.

Also if a rating system could be put in place so that people can find role-plays with role-players that fit them. Such as:
AL- Advanced Literate*
L- Literate*
SL- Semi-Literate*
NL- Non-Literate*

Example: [AL][M,F] Flowers in the Attic
This thread title indicates that 'Flowers in the Attic' is an advanced literate modern fantasy.

*Explanations*
Advanced Literate= role-players that use multiple paragraphs when role-playing, and use proper grammar and attempt spelling.

Literate= role-players that use at least one full paragraph per post, and use proper grammar and attempt spelling.

Semi-Literate= role-players use proper grammar and attempt spelling, but may only role-play a few sentences at a time.

Non-Literate= role-players feel more comfortable using asterisks (*) to indicate actions and post size varies.

Also a side note for those that have asked; to post in color simply “[color:ef85=your color here]” at beginning of your post then “” at the end on the post. You don’t use the “ “ in case you misunderstand. Here is a list of colors that are useable:
Aliceblue
Antiquewhite
Aqua
Aquamarine
Azure
Beige
Bisque
Black
Blanchedalmond
Blue
Blueviolet
Brown